Connoisseur Travels: The Farm at San Benito for the Non-Shushal (Being There)


So I arrived at The Farm around noon of Tuesday. I even remembered being greeted “Hello” by a caucasian foreign guest together with the staff once I approached the reception desk. The reception area reminded me of Japanese houses with adjoined rooms and no doors, while the interiors made me recall Manila’s Coconut Palace, only Breezier as there weren’t really doors that separate one room from another. I was immediately attended to by the reception staff, and the shuttle service that was supposed to pick me up was calling to check where I was (I hope I didn’t keep them waiting). Fresh coconut juice served to me while the map of the resort and the day’s activities were explained. Afterwards, I was escorted to one of the Sulu Terraces, which will be my room for the next 2 nights. Ms. Lally, the receptionist that I met on the way to the resort, carried my bag through the tastefully landscaped walkway.


It was awfully quiet, which prompted me to ask her if I arrived in the middle of the Resort’s off-peak season. She said that the only way one can know if there were a lot of guests is when they start to arrive in droves in the reception area. After the guests disappear into their separate villas, you wouldn’t even know if there are guests in the first place since the place was so vast. Staying there for almost 3 days, I had to agree. The only time I would run into people was when I eat Breakfast and Afternoon Snacks.


The cheapest rooms in The Farm are the Sulu Terraces, and staying in one was like having your own treehouse. The bath is located downstairs, separate from the room, and has an adjoining meditation pavilion.


The room was spacious enough for two people, and since I was alone, it was roomy enough for me. It was air-conditioned, had an electric kettle and a hair blower (which I used and abused, it’s amazing how hair dryers do wonders for your hair!), bedroom slippers, your own safe, your own drinking water supply dispensed from a beehive looking glass container (very tasteful), and most importantly, a box of herbal tea and fruit basket. Now why are were the last two things important? Because you can get by dinnertime eating only this, and you wouldn’t have to spend for dinner, that is, if you’re keen on minimizing spending. And they also give every guest their own mini bayong where you can put your valuables in and carry it like a handbag, and the guest can take it home.

The Farm Sulu Terrace 13

This is how the room looked like during the evening. Lighting really is a factor for interiors. I felt like I was staying in a posh hotel room.

Side story: I got really scared during the first night, because I started reading American Gods and someone in the story died and I started thinking about death and realized that I was really alone in the area, and nobody will know if ever something bad happened to me. Then there was a sudden sound, like someone was knocking or croaking but I didn’t see anyone by the window. The knocking sounds were then replaced by “tu-ku”, “tu-ku”. Fuck, that was the first time I heard a tuko in my life, and it was eerie. Every night it’ll do the same knocking sound followed by the tuku sound, so I got used to it.

Sulu Terrace View

The view from the door. Seems like I’m only person staying in the terraces for the day.

After arriving, my first urge was to inspect everything. Didn’t really take a picture of the bath, but I was impressed how clean and complete it was. No visible grimes. The toilet had a bidet, no need for the friendly Filipino tabo. There were bath towels, hand towels, bathrobes, cotton buds, cotton balls, and organic toiletries made from coconut oil, which the resort also produces. The shower had hot and cold water, and it was running perfectly.

Meditation Pavilion Sulu Terrace

Each Sulu Terrace has its own Meditation Pavilion like this one. The other Sulu terraces have larger meditation pavilions, but I figured that this was given to me since I was alone anyway. I wrote journal entries here for about an hour after exploring the place. Probably due to Typhoon Maring’s remnants, it got really windy and leaves and insects and water were being blown to my face, so I had to run upstairs and continue it.




Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s